Find a Location
- 1-800-KEY2YOU (539-2968)
KeyBank Extends Sustainability Initiatives into the Community
At Key, the concept of “sustainability” goes beyond the bank’s own operations to include a vision for a sustainable community. Internally, sustainability means the responsible management of our operations and business processes to drive efficiency and reduce our environmental footprint and expense. Externally, we focus on the creation of products and services that help our clients and community stakeholders reduce consumption and make clean energy investments.
Here are just a few of the ways we support a sustainable economy:
- Green Office Week: KeyBank held its first Green Office Week in April 2015. This employee-focused environmental sustainability celebration coincided with both Earth Day and Arbor Day. All events highlighted major initiatives that support Key’s sustainability efforts, including those that improve the environment, drive efficiencies, and promote health and wellness.
- Renewable Energy: We have been investing in renewable energy since 2007 and have a portfolio of more than $2 billion supporting more than 6,700 MW of renewable energy capacity, as of December 31, 2014. This investment can power approximately 2 million homes and makes us one of the largest lenders among U.S. banks in the wind and solar sectors.
- ENERGY STAR®: About 32% of our square footage is ENERGY STAR certifiable. This means these buildings are more energy efficient than 75% of comparable buildings in the U.S.
- LEED Certifications: As of 2014, approximately 48% of our corporate office space and 23 Key facilities have earned LEED certification. Key Tower is LEED Gold certified, and KeyBank holds one of the largest corporate headquarters green leases in the U.S. In addition, our Tiedeman Campus in Cleveland, Ohio, and our 17 Corporate Woods facility in Albany, New York, have both received LEED Gold certification.
- Recycling: We donate electronic equipment and recycle eWaste in an environmentally responsible way, including recycling about 100 tons of retired equipment in 2015. Employees recycle nearly all of our used toner cartridges using the HP Planet Partners program. In addition, in 2014 we securely shredded more than 4,400 tons of paper before it was recycled. This supports a waste diversion rate of over 70%.
- Key4Green: KeyBank is responding, as more individuals and companies seek to conserve cash, reduce energy consumption, and cut costs through energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives. Key’s green financing experts come armed with the resources, connections, and financing to devise and implement unique solutions for clients, which may include wind, solar, and other advanced energy use. It’s Key’s privilege to help clients discover the benefits of going green.