Wholesale Lockbox Complete User Guide
Complete User Guide Sections
- Section 1 - Introduction
KeyBank’s lockbox solutions provide an end-to-end receivables process designed to expedite the conversion of your receipts into working cash. Accelerating your cash flow is essential to successful cash management. Improving the speed of collection and posting will help you reduce your daily sales outstanding and your internal cost of processing paper checks. Our robust information delivery channels also provide you with up-to-date details to keep you well informed.
Our lockbox process delivers the highest quality images and information reporting while increasing the efficiency of your operation. Several of our lockbox locations process both Wholesale and OCR-scannable processing. These locations are:
- Cleveland, OH
- Cincinnati, OH
- Albany, NY
- Tacoma, WA
- Denver, CO
Additionally, we offer Wholesale processing for clients who require a larger network of collection in the following locations:
- Chicago, IL
- Los Angeles, CA
- Dallas, TX
- Pittsburgh, PA
The most critical element that differentiates Key’s solution from other lockbox providers is the high priority we place on providing superior client service and quality processing. At KeyBank, we maximize the value of lockbox solutions through the following:
- Multiple collection sites linked with a consolidated information reporting system across all sites
- A multi-faceted image delivery system
- A full complement of service features including,
- Integrated Receivables Reporting
- Electronic lockbox (e-lockbox) for bill pay payments
- Comprehensive data collection and metric reporting via KeyNavigator®
- KeyNavigator, our 24-hour internet-based delivery channel, offers convenient reporting through its Receivables module, with online access to reports and a seven-year image archive.
We also give you the utmost confidence in our capabilities. This trust translates into making the lockbox not just a bank operation, but an extension of your own receivables process.
- Section 2 - System Workflow
- Section 3 - Mail Delivery and Processing
As a service to you, Key will make arrangements with the Post Office to open a P.O. Box in your company’s name. Key maintains a close partnership with designated Post Office locations to ensure that the highest percentage of mail available for pick-up is optimized each day.
3.1 Mail Pick-Up Times
Mail is retrieved from the U.S. Post Office multiple times per day and is delivered to our respective lockbox operations centers. We retrieve mail per the following schedule at our proprietary lockbox locations (all times are local).
3.2 KeyNavigator Intraday Summary Reporting (Deposit Summary + Float)
Key offers deposit and balance reporting, as well as detailed transaction information by lockbox, via our online reporting system, KeyNavigator. We also offer a direct data and / or image transmission with this information.
Through the Receivables module of KeyNavigator, our 24-hour internet-based delivery channel, you can easily access and retrieve check and document images, as well as various data and reports. Images and data in KeyNavigator will be archived for up to seven (7) years.
Access to remittance items through KeyNavigator will be available the same day items are deposited. KeyNavigator is also the most convenient option for you to access lockbox information, allowing you to download or print hard copies as necessary.
The standard reporting times for our lockbox locations are as follows, regardless if it is a data entry report, intraday, or transmission (all times are local):
- 8:00 a.m. – Cleveland and Cincinnati
- 12:00 p.m. – Cleveland, Cincinnati, Albany, Tacoma, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Pittsburgh
- 3:00 p.m. – Cleveland, Cincinnati, Albany, Denver, Tacoma, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Pittsburgh
- End-of-Day – Cleveland, Cincinnati, Albany, Denver, Tacoma, Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas, and Pittsburgh
The following services are delivered based on your requirements:
- Images and data entry via KeyNavigator
- Data Transmission
- Image Transmission
- CDs/DVDs (Daily, Weekly, or Monthly)
- Section 4 - Imaging and Reporting
Access the Receivables section and select Lockbox to view all of your lockbox activity in detail. View deposits at a glance, create a customized report and search for data and images. Hyperlinks will take you to more detailed information of deposits made into each lockbox.
The Report tab will provide you with a detailed view of all lockbox activity for the current day or historically for up to seven (7) years. You can use the filter buttons to change the date and / or lockboxes displayed and use the print button to print a version of the report, optimized for print. In addition, the download button will allow you to download the report in CSV or PDF formats. You can also use the main page button to return to the Receivables main page.
Your images will be linked directly from the detail report and you can click on the camera icons or the transaction sequence number buttons to view the images for each transaction. On the Transaction Detail screen, you can link to all the images in that transaction and view, manipulate, or print the image with the toolbar provided. You can also download all images in PDF format.
- Section 5 - Lockbox Exception Management
KeyBank’s Exception Management Decisioning system provides a way for you to provide Key instructions on how to handle exception transactions that cannot be processed for some reason.
Lockbox Exception Management is accessed through QuickLinks on KeyNavigator. It allows clients to make decisions (reject or accept) on lockbox exceptions. (unprocessable items).
Clients have one business day to make the decision to reject or accept. If no decision is made, the default is to reject. Rejected items are simply sent back to the client via mail to review and decision.
5.1 Accessing Exception Management
- From the KeyNavigator homepage or dashboard, under the Quicklinks in the top left hand corner, click the gear icon to create a Quicklink.
- From the Customize Your Quicklinks screen, scroll down to the Specialized Services section and select Lockbox Exception Management. Click Done.
- Then, under your customized Quicklinks section, click on the Lockbox Exception Management link.
- After you click on the Lockbox Exception Management link, the next screen will be the Lockbox Exception Management main log-in. Here you will enter your Username and Password. Click Login.
If you are a new user of Lockbox Exception Management, the system will prompt you to change your password upon your first log in. Your Username for Lockbox Exception Management will be the same as KeyNavigator.
- Once you are logged into Lockbox Exception Management, you will be taken directly to the Welcome screen. Click on the Decisions tab.
The decisioning system is made up of three separate interfaces:
- Batch Details
- Transactions, and
5.2.1 Batch Details Interface
The Batch Details interface provides you with a filterable list of batches containing transactions that have been flagged because they cannot be processed without further information.
- To work on a batch simply click the batch’s corresponding Checkout button. Administrators will also have an Unlock button available for each batch, allowing them to unlock batches that have been previously checked out. This Unlock button can be used to free the batch for checkout by another user.
- Click on the arrow next to Filter List By drop-down box to filter Batches by Process Date, Lockbox Number, Batch Number and Batch status.
- Once a Filter By criteria is selected, you may select any of the valid values that are available in the grid to filter the list down to the selected value.
- The Batch Information Pane in the lower half of the screen contains details about the individual exceptions contained in the selected batch and their statuses. This information allows you to quickly see the number and type of exceptions contained in each batch.
5.2.2 Transactions Interface
- The Transactions interface is designed to allow you to view and edit any exception field data, and accept or reject exceptions for processing. The front and rear image of the item, along with all relevant data about the item, and all other related items is provided in order to give you all the necessary information to determine how to best handle the exception.
- In the upper left portion of the screen is the Batch Details pane. This provides information on Processed Date, Box Number, Batch, and when the item expires.
- Directly to the right of the Batch Details is the Item Detail pane. This provides any data entry that our associates were able to perform on the presented item.
- Located in the lower left under the batch details pane is, the Exceptions Pane is used to display the exception batches that need attention.
- Use this panel to navigate through each batch by expanding each branch of the exceptions tree. As batches are selected the interface is updated to reflect the transactions, images and exception details of the currently selected batch.
- You will notice two modes View and Work; if you are in View mode, designated by a red bullet, you can review the exceptions but cannot act on them. You can Checkout a batch to move it to Work mode, designated by a green bullet, and begin working through the exceptions contained in that batch.
- To checkout a batch right click the batch and select the Checkout Batch option.
- You will then have options to:
- Reject Batch – Applies to all Exceptions in the Batch
NOTE: All Key Entry Must be completed before a batch can be Accepted.
- Checkout Batch – Check the Batch out to work
- Checkin Batch – Check the Batch in from working
- Batches that are not decisioned within the designated timeframe will be rejected and original checks and documents will be sent back to you for review based on your processing instructions.
- Reject Batch – Applies to all Exceptions in the Batch
- The Image Pane is located in the middle of the interface; this displays the associated images of the currently selected item(s).
- Use the zoom controls at the top right of each image to:
- Full Page – View the image(s) in a separate full-size window
- Image Back – Presents the back of the item should it be available
- Zoom In / Out – Increase / Decrease the size of the image(s) within the current view
- Use the Reset feature to reset the image to its default presentment.
- The Data Entry pane, located on the right side of the user interface allows clients to populate data related to the exception item.
- The Data Entry pane also allows you to split payments by selecting the spilt payment toggle then clicking the green plus marks to add additional split payment fields. At the bottom of this field live balancing occurs. If an item is not in balance it cannot be accepted, and the batch cannot be finalized.
- At the bottom of the screen, exception items requiring data entry are displayed in a table format. Once keyed these fields populate with what is input to the data entry fields in the data entry pane.
- You can toggle through the corresponding images of exception items using the toggle to the left of the image pane. This includes information sent with the payment.
- Columns can be added / removed, re-ordered, and sorted using the column header controls shown here. Simply click on the column header to open the menu.
- To finalize a batch all items must be accepted or rejected and fully balanced. You will then select finalize in the data entry pane or via the automated message that will pop up on your screen:
5.2.3 Reporting Interface
The reporting summary interface is displayed when you click the Reporting tab and is designed to allow you to define and build customized reports about decisioning activity.
The reporting system is made up of sections, the Processing Summary Report, and the Processing Detail Report.
- The Processing Summary Report provides high level information about the batch, including: process date, finalized date, the number and dollar amount of accepted items, the number and dollar amount of rejected items, processing time and more.
- Use the Finalized Date fields provided and click the Refresh button to limit the report to specific data ranges.
- Use the Show Lockbox drop-down list to filter the report to only include data about specific lockboxes. Simply select the desired lockboxes from the Show Lockboxes drop-down list.
- The Processing Detail Report shows the details about a specific batch including what the exception types were, the date which each exception was decided, who decided it, the dollar amount of the exception, and what the decision was.
- You can modify the contents of this report by changing the date range and clicking Refresh.
- Use the Back to Summary Report button to go back to the Summary Report.
5.2.4 Event Manager Alerts
The Event Manager system within Lockbox provides you with a powerful and flexible tool to configure and receive alerts in the form of email or SMS text messages about the tasks that are important to you.
- To edit an existing alert, simply double-click the Event Alert entry you wish to edit.
- Configuring an Alert:
- Double-click the Event Alert, you will want to edit.
- The Event Rule Config box will display.
- In the Source Configuration Tab, enter the name and description for the event that you’d like to display in the main interface.
- Enable the event rule to receive an alert whenever the rule is true.
- Disable the event rule to silence the alert.
- Click Save when the alert is configured to your liking.
- Click on the Target Configuration Tab.
- In the Email Template section, specify the email subject you want displayed and the information in the alert that will be sent when the event rule is true. Any http:// entries in the body will be converted to links in the actual alert when sent.
- In the Email Recipients section, enter the email addresses of your users who you wish to receive this specific alert. Enter multiple recipients by including a comma (,) or space between the email addresses entered in the Email field.
User preferences are an easy way you configure the behavior of exception processing for each user.
Preferences you can set include:
- Image Windows – the number of available windows for viewing image pop-outs and PDFs
- Email Address – the email address the system will send alert notifications to
- Mobile Email – a cell phone address that accepts SMS messages for alerts
- A list of the most popular addresses is listed below
- Starting Page – the preferred landing page after logging into the system
Examples of how to format your address for SMS Text Messages for common providers are below:
Address Format for SMS Text Messages
[Mobile Number] @txt.att.net
[Mobile Number] @cingularme.com
[Mobile Number] @mmode.com
[Mobile Number] @mms.cricketwireless.net
[Mobile Number] @mymetropcs.com
[Mobile Number] @messaging.sprintpcs.com
[Mobile Number] @tmomail.net
[Mobile Number] @email.uscc.net
[Mobile Number] @vtext.com
5.3 Company Administration
KeyBank’s Exception Management Decisioning system provides a unique, simplified administration experience for company administrators, allowing you to quickly perform the tasks relevant to you.
When you access the Configuration Tab you are presented with your User Profile.
Your company’s administrators will also have access to two additional administrative pages – sources and users.
The user administration page provides your company administrators the tools necessary to manage Lockbox Exception Management Decisioning users for your organization. The primary part of this interface is the User List, which is the only thing that is visible to a user initially.
The User List consists of the basic information about the user along with some indicators as to the user’s status, including:
- Company Admin – Indicates that the user has been designated an administrator for their company. A Company Admin may not update their permissions.
- Active – Indicates whether or not the user is an active user of the system and allowed to login.
- NOTE: Users cannot be deleted. You can only make a user active or inactive.
- Locked – Indicates that the user has been locked from being allowed to login to the system. This is usually due to too many failed login attempts.
To Add a User:
- Click the Add User button.
- The Add User Form will display.
- Enter the Username, First Name, Last Name and Email Address of the user to be added.
- Click Save User.
Note: Once the user has been saved, a dialog box will appear from the top of the window indicating that the user has been created, along with that user’s temporary password. Make a note of that password and provide it to the user through a secure mechanism of your choosing. They will have to use this password to login to the Exception Management system for the first time. Once a user logs in, they will be required to change their password.
To Configure a User:
To configure a user, simply select the user you wish to configure and you will notice three new panes open up. You can then configure all of the available options, permissions, and entitlements for that user and save their configuration quickly and easily.
- General Interface: Contains the basic information about the user including name and email address.
- Permissions Interface: Provides a list of the Permissions available and/or assigned to the user.
To deactivate a user:
- Select the user from the User List.
- Un-check the Active checkbox under the General Interface.
- Click the Save User Configuration button.
Once completed, you will notice the Active indicator (√) is removed from the user’s information in the user list.
Assigning User Permissions:
To grant or deny user permissions simply select / deselect those permissions you wish to grant or deny the user and click the “Save User Configuration” Button. As an administrator you are only allowed to administer those permissions to which you yourself have been granted. The possible permissions available are:
- Can Create Users – Able to create new users within the system.
- Can Edit Entitlements – Able to grant users permissions and access to sources.
- Can Reset Passwords – Able to reset other user passwords.
- Can Create Reports – Able to perform export activity from the system.
- Can View Company Details – Able to view the company details information within the system.
- Can View Decisioning – Able to view the Exception Decisioning Application within the system.
- Can Accept Decisioning – Able to “Accept” exceptions within the Decisioning Application.
- Can Reject Decisioning – Able to “Reject” exception within the Decisioning Application.
- Can Finalize Decisioning – Able to submit exceptions for final processing within the Decisioning Application.
- Section 6 - Additional Functionality
You can easily search for images from either the Receivables basic search panel or from the fully advanced Search tab. Criteria available will be based on the originally captured set-up for your lockboxes.
You can search one, all, or any combination of the following field options using either exact or a range of criteria:
- Lockbox Number
- Batch Sequence Number
- Check Routing
- Transit Number
- Batch Amount
- Check Number
- Check Amount
- Check Serial Number
- Transaction Sequence Number
- Deposit Date
- Transaction Item
The following twelve optional search fields are also available if you choose to use Key’s data entry service:
- Customer Number
- Invoice Number
- Invoice Name
- Invoice City
- Invoice State
- Invoice Date
- Gross Invoice Amount
- Net Amount
- Payor Name
- Payor City
- Payor State
- Check Date
6.2 Customized Display Settings
By clicking on the Settings tab, you can customize your display settings. For example, choose the lockbox to view or edit as well as how the data is displayed on the screen each time you enter the system.
- Section 7 - Questions and Assistance
KeyBank’s Lockbox Solutions Team will handle the set-up and implementation of your Lockbox. This team will be led by your Payments Advisor, who will work in tandem with your Relationship Manager. Both will be supported by a Client Manager or Implementation Manager, who will take on a strong servicing role throughout the implementation process.
Additionally, your implementation project group will consist of any other members of your assigned Key Team and any Operations/Product contacts necessary to make sure the implementation process runs smoothly.
This team will ensure that the implementation of our lockbox solution is organized and efficient in both delivery and communication. A conversion task list will outline each step of the set-up process and what actions need to be taken by either you or Key. Throughout the implementation, we will be in communication via weekly conference calls to update you on the progress and completion of the implementation. Additionally, we will complete quality checks shortly after each solution has been implemented to ensure your complete satisfaction.
Key will also provide all the necessary support during implementation. Our support includes training, technical assistance, and onsite visits as needed.
Key’s Commercial Banking Services center should be your first point of contact for all inquiries and issues, regardless of urgency level. If necessary, Key’s Commercial Banking Services team will create and route the request back to the Lockbox Solutions Team for appropriate resolution and follow-up.
The Commercial Banking Services team can be reached Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. ET at 1-(800)-821-2829.
- Section 8 - Glossary
OCR-Scannable: Optical Character Recognition, lockbox processing of a coupon size document with Optical Character scan line that will be machine read by high speed equipment.