Online benefit solutions are an investment of time, money and energy. They should streamline and automate benefits communication, enrollment and administrative processes for employee benefits plans. HR technology should simplify internal processes reduce costs and empower employees.
HR@hand®, our exclusive benefits administration platform, provides a secure web-based application custom-designed for each client. From decision support and communication tools to advanced reporting and automated data transfer to payroll and insurance carriers, we focus on maximizing efficiencies for employees and Human Resource administrators.
After implementing HR@hand®, clients report:
- Increased HR department productivity and efficiencies
- Additional time available for HR staff to work on more strategic initiatives
- Reduced benefit plan enrollment and payroll deduction errors
- Increased employee satisfaction and engagement due to better employee self-service and decision support tools
- Reduced over-insuring by giving employees the tools to select the right level of insurance coverage for themselves and their families
- Streamlined and reduced costs associated with ongoing benefits communications
- Improved and simplified ACA compliance and reporting processes
- Enhanced promotion of their health and wellness initiatives
Increase the agility of your HR team while fully supporting your employees’ information support needs. Whether it’s about plan options, forms, life status changes or other benefits issues, our call center is available to customers in combination with our HR@hand® or Benefits Exchange technology solutions. Staffed from our local offices, your employees will speak with licensed professionals trained in your benefits plans and insurance carrier contacts. The call center can be available all year long, or, activated at specific times, like open enrollment.
Take advantage of how we can serve you:
- Enjoy flexibility. Choose coverage for annual enrollment, seasonal peak demands, or year-round. We can scale services at low incremental cost and offer a number of service options, including call recording, email, chat and toll-free numbers.
- Rely on our accountability. We document all interactions for your review, allowing for full transparency. Our web-based CRM tool manages and maintains all customer case information, where our licensed agents track and prioritize open cases.
- Gain efficiency. Our licensed agents handle the bulk of your employee questions, so your team can focus on strategic projects. Our agent training and review programs ensure that we give your employees consistent and accurate information.
Interested in moving beyond a benefits administration system? Looking for a win-win solution for your organization and your employees? We provide the opportunity to offer a benefit package that employees rave about, while allowing you to streamline your administrative processes and reduce healthcare costs. Interested in learning more? We can help you understand the details of a private exchange, and our expert consultants can help design a solution for your specific business objectives.
How does the Benefits Exchange work?
Reduce your overall healthcare spend by using the Benefits Exchange to achieve your long-term employee benefits objectives:
- As the employer, you determine the type of funding arrangement and choose the appropriate carrier partner(s) from our robust offering. After defining the contribution strategy that works for your company, we help you select a family of products to offer employees.
- Your employees enroll in coverage online through the Benefits Exchange by utilizing an array of decision support tools to select the benefits that work best for their particular situation.
- The Benefits Exchange sends your employees’ benefit choices to the selected insurance administrators and feeds employee payroll deduction information to your payroll vendor. The selected administrators will then issue an employee health insurance policy, ID card and information directly to the employee.
- The Benefits Exchange will also send you a record of your employees' benefit selections. You will collect any premium deficit owed by the employee through pre-tax payroll contributions.
The Benefits Exchange is a powerful tool to meet a variety of employer needs. Designed for businesses with 100 or more employees, it can accommodate a wide range of contribution approaches, help drive smart choices and cost transparency, and help employees choose the best complement of benefit options for themselves and their family.
Private Exchange Frequently Asked Questions
What is a health exchange?
In its most basic form, an exchange is an online marketplace where employees can purchase various benefits for themselves and their family. Typically, benefits exchanges offer more benefit choices and provide the opportunity to personalize one’s benefit selections.
Is there a difference between a public exchange and a private exchange?
The concept is similar, but there are two very distinct types of exchanges: public (state and federal government-run exchanges) and private exchanges. Income-based subsidies to purchase health insurance can only be used on a public exchange. These subsidies cannot be used on private exchanges.
Public exchanges are only available to individuals and small groups. However, private exchanges cater to larger categories of users: individuals, small groups, large and jumbo groups, consortiums, multiple-employer arrangements, active employees, retirees, part-timers and other subcategories as well.
How is a defined contribution plan different from a defined benefits plan?
With a defined contribution plan, employers contribute set amounts of money toward their employees’ benefit package. Under this model, employees have a wide range of benefit choices to select from within a private exchange system. With a defined benefits plan, an employer may select one or two specific health insurance options to offer employees with distinct levels of employee contributions towards each plan.
What types of benefits can be found on an exchange?
Medical, dental and vision plans are most common, while some private exchanges may also offer a variety of financial wellness solutions including life, disability, auto and homeowner’s coverage.
What types of decision support tools are available on an exchange?
Federally run public exchanges often provide expanded benefit comparison spreadsheets to assist in the plan selection process and intermittent call center support. Generally, state-based exchanges have fared better than their federally run counterparts in terms of overall plan selection functionality and consumer experience.
Many private exchanges, including the Benefits Exchange, offer sophisticated decision support tools to assist individuals with their benefits selections, including future utilization projections, out-of-pocket costs, educational videos and professional call center support.
Insurance services, benefits consulting services and insurance products are offered through Key Insurance & Benefits Services, Inc. (“KIB”), which is a licensed insurance broker and agent. Insurance policies are obligations of the insurers that issue the policies. Insurance products may not be available in all states. KIB and KeyBank are separate entities, and when you purchase risk management services, business consulting services or insurance products you are doing business with KIB, and not KeyBank.