Positive Pay FAQ
Yes. You can submit a check issue file through web-based file transfer within KeyNavigator or directly to Key via direct transmission. A Check Outsourcing or a Consolidated Payables file will automatically load check issuance information for Positive Pay.
Yes. You can manually enter information if you hover over the Payables category, and select Account Reconcilement from the menu. From the Account Reconcilement page, please select Check Issue Maintenance.
No. You can have Positive Pay Only, without ARP services.
There are several options to choose from.
- Direct computer-to-computer transmission:
- Web-based file transfer through KeyNavigator.
- Consolidated Payables file
- Check Outsourcing file
- Manually enter the issuance data through the Payables section on KeyNavigator
Yes, dependent upon your default settings:
- If your default setting is Pay All, and you do not take action on the items in the Same Day Review, the suspect items will appear on your Next Day Positive Pay Exceptions Report. You will then have the ability to return the suspect items.
- If your default setting is Stop All, your suspect items will only appear if you manually remove the Stop on the item from your Same Day Exception Report. The item will then be posted to your account and will be reported on your Next Day Positive Pay Exceptions Report. You will then have the ability to return the suspect items.
- Please note, if your default setting is Stop All, and you do not manually remove the Stop on the item from your Same Day Exception Report, you will not have a second chance to make a decision, as the item will be stopped.
E-check items will be listed as exception item on the Positive Pay report, with the following details:
- Check/Serial Number
- Dollar Amount
- ACH Payee Name
- ACH payment type (ARC or POP)
- ACH description
Yes, if you use (Next Day or Same Day Positive Pay) services.
- When you sign up for Same Day or Next Day Positive Pay, the teller verification is automatically turned on once a valid check issuance file is received.
- You must notify Key in writing if you choose to deactivate the teller portion of Positive Pay. As a result, checks will not be matched against your check issue file at the Key branch teller lines.
We highly recommend the industry best practice of utilizing Teller Line Positive Pay.
If a payee wishes to cash a check at one of our Key branches the same business day you physically distribute the check, Key must first receive the corresponding check issuance data.
- When utilizing KeyNavigator web-based file transfer, check issuance data must be received by Key 30 minutes before the payee would attempt to cash the check at a Key branch.
- When utilizing direct transmission, the check issuance data must be received by Key 90 minutes before the payee would attempt to cash the check at a Key branch.
- Payees will be turned away at the teller line if your check issuance data is not received according to these deadlines.
For assistance contact 800-539-9039.
The timing depends on the service requested:
- If this is a new account to the bank, MICR testing is required.
- If this is an existing account at Key and you are only requesting standard Positive Pay, we do not need test checks.
- If you are requesting Payee Name Verification (PNV) service, you will need to transmit a test file and email 10 images of the test checks. If after visually reviewing the check, ARP Operations determines that the checks are not meeting PNV requirements, we will request test checks for PNV testing.