you are a
You Seek Logical Solutions First, Knowing Done Is Always Better than Said
Cooperative and highly efficient when it comes to negotiating, you start at the middle ground in hopes of skipping the time-consuming back and forth. OK with solutions that get you most of the way there, you tend to do well when time is short and decisions must be made. Beware the cognitive dissonance that comes with too much compromise and know that sometimes it’s OK to take more, even if that means putting in a little more time than you’d like.
Share Your Results
- Cooperative and Considerate – You value your negotiation partners and seek common ground.
- Efficient – You don’t see the point of dragging things out.
- Conflict-Averse – Your focus on efficiency can often be perceived as taking the easy way out.
- Myopic – By pushing for speed, you miss bigger opportunities and leave money on the table.
- Like-Minds – Compromisers tend to do really well with other compromisers and those who value efficiency over maximizing results. Take advantage of these situations by pushing for your stretch goals, knowing you’ll find common ground in the end no matter what.
- Open-Ended Deadlines – In your quest to find compromise, those with time and agenda points to spare may look to use your desire to close quickly against you. Counter this by setting agreed upon deadlines upfront or taking things off the table later that cannot be agreed upon by a certain date.
Become a Better Negotiator
- Set your ranges upfront – Knowing you’ll move quickly toward the middle as negotiations get rolling, set ranges for what you do and do not find acceptable upfront. This strategy will help you not only achieve more favorable outcomes but make it easier to say no when needed – and avoid the regret that tends to follow when you’re not prepared and end up giving up more than you had hoped.
- Read the articles below – Improve your situational awareness, strengthen your initial position, and learn how to level up your business negotiations.
- Join Key4Women – Strengthen your skills and improve your network by joining thousands of small business owners and professionals like you.