Our Coronavirus Response
Last updated August 23, 2021
We’ll continue to keep you at the center of our work as we modify and update our coronavirus response based on the latest guidance from leading authorities. Here, you’ll find out about financial assistance, branch banking and locations, answers to frequently asked questions, self-service options to help you with your everyday banking and more.
Get back on your financial feet
Financial hardship help is available now
Child Tax Credit
The American Rescue Plan Act made some important changes to the Child Tax Credit that will help many families receive advance payments starting as early as July 15, 2021. The changes expand the Child Tax Credit (CTC) for the tax year 2021 only.
Please find answers to several FAQs below or visit the Advance Child Tax Credit Payments page on the IRS web portal for more information about eligibility, to unenroll from the advance payments, or to submit information if you are not a tax-filer.
2021 Stimulus Payments
The latest $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief package provides another round of direct payments, as well as additional assistance for those who are unemployed, hungry, uninsured and at risk of losing their homes. It also provides a bigger tax break for parents.
The IRS started issuing the latest round of stimulus payments to eligible individuals in March with payments sent by direct deposit and through the mail as a check or debit card. The IRS will continue to issue payments throughout the year as tax returns are processed.
Find out the status of your payment with the IRS tool, Get My Payment. Also, you can check your accounts anytime in KeyBank online and mobile banking, and request notifications when any deposit is made to your account with KeyBank account alerts.
Paycheck Protection Program Information
The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) closed on May 31, 2021.
We are currently accepting loan forgiveness applications for PPP loans issued in 2020 and for 2021 first draw loans. We will open to 2021 second draw loans later this year. If you haven’t applied for loan forgiveness with us yet, learn how to apply.
You may be eligible for immediate help including extensions, waived late fees or waived penalties on KeyBank mortgages, credit cards and loans and lines of credit through our borrower assistance programs. To request a waiver for certain service charges or for questions about KeyBank student loans, auto loans and other loans, contact us.
Staying safe from coronavirus scams
Your security and privacy are important to us, so we want to make sure you’re aware that scams related to stimulus payments and unemployment benefits are on the rise.
Get security tips and the latest details at key.com/privacy-security.
About KeyBank branches
- Nearly every branch is fully open.
- Minimize contact by using our drive-thru lanes where available.
- Find up-to-date location information with our ATM and branch locator.
- In-branch appointments are available for those who need them. Schedule yours online, in online and mobile banking or by calling your branch.
The health and safety of our clients and teammates is our top priority. In keeping with CDC guidelines, all KeyBank branches are taking the following precautions:
- Masks are no longer required in KeyBank branches for anyone who is fully vaccinated, unless required by state or local order
- If you prefer to be served by someone wearing a mask, let us know
- Hand sanitizer is available for you and our team
- Plexiglass for teller windows, bankers' desks and other areas in the bank where clients are served
- Occupancy limits and social distancing signage and floor markings, where required
- Enhanced, more frequent cleaning for our ATMs, branches and drive-thrus
- Daily team health screenings and reinforcement of best health practices
- Direction for our teams to stay home from work if COVID-19 symptoms are present
Our support for businesses
As a top national Small Business Administration (SBA) lender, we have a variety of options and programs built to keep businesses running, as well as decades of experience with government programs. Find out about the SBA disaster recovery loans at disasterloan.SBA.gov.
For any service-related questions, contact us at 1-888-KEY4BIZ (539-4249).
Businesses & Institutions
You can rely on us for stability through changing economic cycles. Our capital structure and liquidity are sound, with strong earnings growth and seven years of positive operating leverage. As we move through this cycle, our relationship managers are on hand to discuss industry impacts and options.
Wealth management support
Key Private Bank
Most private bank offices are open by appointment; please contact your advisor. The Key Private Bank offices in Naples, Ft. Myers and Palm Beach Gardens have returned to normal business hours from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For Key Private Bank client services, call 1-877-634-2968.
As always, you can find our expert analysis and strategies for navigating market tensions in our daily market briefs.
Key Investment Services®
Our financial advisors are available by appointment to meet you at a nearby branch.* To make an appointment or reach a service professional, call us at 1-888-547-2968.
Our Community Support
Together, we’re meeting unprecedented opportunities and challenges to support our clients, communities and teammates.
Economic Impact Stimulus Payments1
- 2.3 million direct deposit payments provided over $4 billion in relief
- Over 10,000 Key Cares credits2 provided $170,000
- Over 12,000 temporary credits3 provided almost $4 million in relief
- 17,000 stimulus payments cashed for non-Key clients free of charge
Paycheck Protection Program as of August 5, 2021
- Processed approximately 70,000 SBA-approved PPP loans, totaling $11 billion in critical funding for businesses
- ~25% of SBA-approved application dollars went to businesses in low- to moderate-income areas
- $6.11 billion in loan forgiveness to date
- $45 million invested in our communities, including $18 million across our markets to directly support individuals and businesses impacted by COVID-19
- 1,000 teammates donated to more than 1,300 nonprofit organizations totaling nearly $2 million through our 2:1 employee gift matching program
- 50,300 hours volunteered by KeyBank teammates
- $34 million in total pandemic support, spending $2,000 per teammate in COVID-related support and relief in 2020
- 7,049 frontline teammates received premium pay (totaling nearly $11 million)
- $1 million in childcare reimbursements to teammates for unplanned childcare expenses through our Dependent Care Reimbursement program
1As of March 31, 2021.
2Key Cares Credits: Permanent credits given to forgive overdrawn balances for clients receiving stimulus checks into an account with a negative balance of $50 or less.
3Temporary Credits: 30-day temporary credit provided to clients receiving stimulus checks into an account with a negative balance of greater than $50 to allow full access to the stimulus payment.
Frequently asked questions
- How can I stop a payment?
In online banking, upcoming activity is displayed in the account details page of each account. Select the payment you would like to stop to edit or delete it. In the mobile app, scheduled payments can also be canceled by selecting the “+” button and red activity icon. Select the payment you wish to cancel in the Bill Payments menu.
- How can I find a branch that’s still open or use a safe deposit box?
- What banking can I do during a branch appointment?
You can complete any usual banking during a scheduled appointment, such as open a new account, apply for a loan, have a financial wellness review, or discuss account questions. You will need to bring your identification. To make an appointment, call your branch or schedule an appointment online.
- I want to use online banking or download the mobile app. Where do I start?
With online banking and the mobile app, you can check balances, deposit checks, pay bills, and more—easily and securely, without leaving home. Get started today.
- Who can I call for help with online banking or the mobile app?
When you need help with online banking or the mobile app, contact our digital banking support team at 1-800-539-1539. We’re here Monday through Friday from 7 AM to midnight, and Saturday and Sunday from 8 AM to 9 PM.
- Who can I call with account questions or for more information?
If you have any other questions or need help with your accounts, call our 24/7 customer service team. We’re experiencing longer than usual hold times as we work with our clients.
For clients using a TDD/TTY device, call 1-800-539-8336.
- How do I make a payment to KeyBank?
There are several different ways of making payments to your KeyBank accounts. Sign on to online and mobile banking, pay by phone at 1-800-KEY2YOU (TDD/TTY: 1-800-539-8336), visit a branch or mail your payment to the address on your statement. For more information and FAQs, visit our payment information pages for consumer loan or line of credit payments, credit card payments, mortgage payments, or home equity payments.
- What programs do you offer for payment assistance?
We have many programs available to assist if you are having trouble making payments. They include payment deferrals, extensions, modifications to your terms and more. Learn more and get an application for payment deferral at KeyBank borrower assistance.
- Who is going to receive stimulus payments from the government?
With the passage of the American Rescue Plan Act, a third round of stimulus payments became available for those who are eligible. At Key, we understand how critical this financial support is to many individuals and families during these challenging times, and we want to make sure you have the information you need.
Eligible taxpayers who filed tax returns for either 2020 or 2019 will automatically receive a payment of up to $1,400 for individuals, or $2,800 for couples. Parents also receive $1,400 for each qualifying child dependent.
- Individuals with an adjusted gross income less than $75,000 and have no eligible dependents will receive a payment of $1,400.
- Couples with an adjusted gross income less than $150,000 and have no eligible dependents will receive a payment of $2,800.
Payments may still be issued, but prorated, for adjusted gross income levels higher than the limits listed above.
- How will I receive my payment?
If you filed your 2020 tax return with direct deposit, your Economic Impact Payment will be deposited directly into the same bank account listed on your tax return. If you've not filed your return for 2020, the account indicated on your 2019 tax filing will be used.
For consumers without information on file with the IRS, a paper check or prepaid card may be mailed. Visit IRS.gov/coronavirus to learn more.
- Does KeyBank charge any fees on stimulus payments?
There is no check cashing fee for stimulus checks for either clients or non-clients. In addition, KeyBank has processes in place to help you receive the most value from your stimulus payment.
- What if my account has a negative balance when I receive my stimulus payment?
For stimulus payments that were direct deposited before April 30 we automatically forgave negative balances that were $50 or less at the beginning of the day that the stimulus payment was direct deposited. This credit will show up on your statement as “KEY CARES CREDIT." Clients will not receive a 1099 for the Key Cares Credit.
If your account had a negative balance that was more than $50 on the day your stimulus payment was direct deposited and the payment was received before April 30, KeyBank automatically provided a 30-day temporary credit, so you could immediately access your full stimulus payment. This temporary credit will show up on your statement as “30-Day Temporary Overdraft Credit,” and it will be reversed after 30 days. You will receive an initial communication explaining how the temporary credit works, and you’ll be notified again before the credit is removed.
If you receive a stimulus payment by direct deposit after April 30 and your account had a negative balance at the time, contact us at 1-800-KEY2YOU® (539-2968) for help to receive the full value of your stimulus payment.
- Are stimulus payments subject to garnishments?
Due to the new law’s requirements, electronic stimulus payments are not universally exempt from garnishment. Garnishment requirements may vary state to state, pursuant to individual state orders.
- How do I access my funds if I receive a paper check?
There are many ways to access the money from a paper stimulus check.
Because ATMs and online and mobile banking cannot tell you’re depositing a stimulus check, using those methods when you have a negative balance in your account may result in you not receiving the full value of your check. If you have a negative balance in your KeyBank account, a teller at a KeyBank branch can cash your check so you receive the full value.
Non-KeyBank clients can cash their stimulus checks at KeyBank for no fee (bring two forms of identification).
- How can I check on the status of my stimulus or Economic Impact Payment?
The IRS will not give KeyBank information about the status of your Economic Impact Payment. However, you can set up a KeyBank account alert to be notified when any deposit is made to your account.
To check with the IRS on the status of your payment, visit irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
- My stimulus check should have been direct deposited into my account by now, but it hasn’t been. What should I do?
We understand how critical these payments are and will process every direct deposit we receive from the IRS. Because we don’t originate the payments, we don’t have any additional information about their status. You can find more information and get the latest status of your payment at irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment.
- Can I get a “Key Cares Credit” or “30-Day Temporary Overdraft Credit” if I have a negative balance when I deposit my stimulus check at an ATM, with mobile deposit or with a teller?
If you deposit your stimulus check into an account with a negative balance at an ATM, in the mobile app or with a teller and ask for full access to the funds, a request can be submitted to provide the account with a Key Cares Credit. Clients will receive a permanent Key Cares Credit for negative balances of $50 or less, or a 30-Day Temporary Overdraft Credit for negative balances greater than $50.
- What happens if the IRS direct deposits my stimulus payment to a closed KeyBank account?
The IRS relies on historical tax return information to determine where to send direct deposit stimulus payments. If the IRS sends a payment to a KeyBank account that is closed, invalid or in collections, KeyBank will return the payment to the IRS within 24 hours. This allows the IRS to quickly know there is an issue, so it can find the right place to send the payment.
- I received more than one stimulus payment direct deposit in my KeyBank account. How do I know who the deposits are for?
Because we don’t originate the payments, we don’t have any additional information about this. To find out more visit irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments.
Child Tax Credit
- What are the expected changes to the Child Tax Credit (CTC) for tax year 2021?
The CTC amounts will increase for many taxpayers. Taxpayers may benefit from the credit even if they do not have earned income or do not owe any income taxes.
- The credit will include children who turn age 17 in 2021.
- Taxpayers may receive part of their credit in 2021 before filing their 2021 tax return.
In tax year 2021, parents can receive $3,000 total for each child aged 6 to 17 or $3,600 for each child under 6, and you can choose to receive half of that amount through advance monthly payments this year. Please note taxpayers can decline the monthly payments if you prefer to claim the full credit amount when they file their income taxes in 2022.
- Where can I find out more information about the CTC, such as how much will my payment be?
Please visit the IRS web portal to find eligibility information, unenroll from the advance payments, submit information if you are a non-filer and view helpful FAQs.
- When will the CTC payments start?
Eligible households should have received their first payment on July 15. Advance payments of the 2021 Child Tax Credit will be made regularly from July through December to eligible taxpayers.
These advance payments are estimated from information included in eligible taxpayers' 2020 tax returns (or your 2019 returns if the 2020 returns are not filed and processed yet).
Note that KeyBank does not provide credit to client accounts prior to the payment effective date provided by the IRS.
- How will the payments be made?
Similar to stimulus payments, most CTC payments will be made by ACH directly into taxpayer accounts. The remaining payments will be disbursed by check or debit card.
- I’m not seeing my Child Tax Credit. Where is it?
As with many stimulus programs, the deposits do not typically come all at once.
When KeyBank receives the payment from the Federal Government and processes the payment, it will appear in your account.
- I don’t want advance payments and prefer to receive the credit when I file my taxes next year—what can I do?
Eligible taxpayers who do not want to receive advance payment of the 2021 Child Tax Credit will have the opportunity to decline receiving advance payments. Please visit the IRS web portal to stop advance payments.
- Are CTC payments subject to garnishments?
Yes, electronic CTC payments are not universally exempt from garnishment. Garnishment requirements may vary state to state, pursuant to individual state orders.
- If I owe payments, fees or am facing overdraft, will that impact my Child Tax Credit?
Key Bank will not apply Child Credit Tax payments to an account in collections/charged off status. However, if your Child Tax Credit payment is deposited to an open account that has a negative balance, deposited funds from Child Tax Credit Payments may be applied to the negative balance.
- Will KeyBank cash Child Tax Credit refund checks from the U.S. Treasury for non-clients too?
No, KeyBank is not cashing Child Tax Credit refund checks for non-clients.
- What if I have questions about the Tax Credit itself?
We understand there can be many questions about this tax credit, including the amount you receive. If you do have questions on the credit itself, please visit IRS.gov online and click on the “credits and deductions” tab. There, you’ll find more detailed information on the Child Tax Credit available to you. 2021 Child Tax Credit and Advance Child Tax Credit Payments — Topic A: General Information | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov).
- Is Key hiring?
Yes, we are still hiring for some positions. Key is interviewing and, in many cases, virtually onboarding new teammates. Many of our roles may be performed at home or by using phones and drive-thru windows. To learn more, visit key.com/careers.
- Is Key doing in-person interviews?
We are still predominantly in a virtual interview environment until further notice. Most of our interviews are still being conducted virtually either via phone or video, reserving only final interviews to potentially be conducted in person.
- If I have an in-person interview, should I wear a mask?
As we schedule your in-person visit, please know the health and safety of our teammates and candidates is our top priority. In keeping with CDC guidelines, masks are no longer required in KeyBank branches or worksites for anyone who is fully vaccinated unless required by state or local order.
All credit products are subject to credit approval.
Some restrictions apply.
This material is presented for informational purposes only and should not be construed as individual tax or financial advice. KeyBank does not provide legal advice.
Investment products are offered through Key Investment Services LLC (KIS), member FINRA/SIPC and SEC-registered investment advisor. Insurance products are offered through KeyCorp Insurance Agency USA, Inc. (KIA). KIS and KIA are affiliated with KeyBank National Association (KeyBank).
Investment and insurance products made available through KIS and KIA are:
KIS, KIA and KeyBank are separate entities, and when you buy or sell securities and insurance products you are doing business with KIS and/or KIA, and not KeyBank.