Translator Tool for QuickBooks
2.1 Installing the Translator Tool
- Log into QuickBooks as the Administrator (or user with administrator rights).
- Log into Key Total Treasury, and click on the ‘File Translator’ tab on the left side of the screen.
- Click the ‘Download’ button to launch the Save As or Run box. You can choose either.
- The installation welcome screen provides you with the ‘Cancel’ button to stop the install.
- Click ‘Next’ to continue.
- The ‘End-User License Agreement’ screen provides the option to accept or not accept the terms in the license agreement. If you do not accept the terms, the install process will halt, and the system will not be installed.
- Select the ‘I accept the terms in the License Agreement’ option.
- Click ‘Next’ to continue.
- The Ready To Install screen provides you with the opportunity to click ‘Back’ to review your settings. You may click ‘Cancel’ to halt the installation.
- Click ‘Install’ to continue. A status screen allows you to monitor the installation progress.
- The system displays a screen notifying you that the installation is complete.
- The following screen is where you can establish a password for the admin user. This can be changed at a later date if the user wishes.
NOTE: The password must be 8-12 characters long and contain at least 2 numerical digits.
- Next, choose either ‘Payee Positive Pay’ or Standard ‘Positive Pay’.
NOTE: This cannot be changed without uninstalling or reinstalling the Translator Tool.
- Choose the first option ‘Retrieve the data directly from an account system’: QuickBooks and click ‘Next’.
- Click on ‘Request Access’. The system will ask if you want to allow the ARP Translator Tool to access QuickBooks, even if QuickBooks is not running. Click ‘Yes’ and ‘Continue’. This will put a certificate into QuickBooks that will allow the ARP Translator Tool access to the check register even if QuickBooks is not running.
- You will be prompted to select a user to access QuickBooks, choose the user that has admin rights (most likely the person who is installing the tool.) An ‘Access Confirmation’ window will open confirming that the changes were made. Click ‘Done’ to proceed.
- Once this is complete the following screen will appear with the Company File Location. Click ‘Next’.
- Enter in the bank account number that corresponds to the account(s) to which Positive Pay service is being added. Click ‘Next’.
NOTE: You do not need to enter information for accounts not being added to Positive Pay.
- Next choose Export as the File Delivery Method and click ‘Next’.
- Now the File Translator Set-up is Complete. Click ‘Finish’.
2.2 Using the Translator Tool
- Double click on the Key File Translator shortcut on your desktop to launch the tool. Enter admin as the user ID and the password that was established.
- At the main page, click on the arrow next to File Translator to collapse the menu.
- Now choose the ‘Register Setup’ to view the accounts set-up in the ARP Translator Tool. If you want you can assign starting and ending check numbers here.
- Click on ‘Retrieve Check Issue Data’ to import checks from the QuickBooks Check Register. You can choose the account to import data from, using the drop down menu. Also shown is the last retrieval date/time for each account. Click on ‘Retrieve Check Issue Data’ at the bottom when ready.
- Once the data is pulled, the Retrieval Validation Results screen will display all the data that has been pulled in from QuickBooks. At the top is a summary of valid and invalid checks, as well as a file total in dollars and number of checks. Clicking on the ‘Reject Checks’ button at the bottom will remove the records from the Translator Tool and you can import the data again when ready. This is helpful if you need to narrow down the check range. When ready, choose ‘Accept Checks’ and the number of checks that have been accepted will be displayed.
NOTE: Once data has been accepted into the tool it cannot be deleted without uninstalling and reinstalling the tool.
- The Create Bank File screen displays everything that has been accepted into the tool and will be exported in the file. Click on ‘Browse’ at the bottom to choose a location to save the file.
NOTE: This is the file that will be sent to Key and a file extension is NOT required. It is recommended that the file include a Date as part of the file name. Once you have entered a name click OK.
- After a location and name have been chosen, click on ‘Export’ at the bottom to create the file in Key’s format. A window will display with ‘File Created’ followed by the name of the file. Click ‘OK’ to go back to the ARP File Translator screen. The Positive Pay file that was exported is ready to be sent to Key.
Q: What if I forgot my password and I am locked out?
There are four user IDs available in the translator tool:
When you install the Translator Tool on your computer, you are prompted to set a password for the admin ID. If you forget your admin ID, password, or get locked out, you log on from another ID to reset your admin password.
Steps to reset your password for the admin user ID
- Log on to the Key File Translator tool under a different ID.
- Enter the password. If this is the first time using this ID, the password will be the same as the user ID.
- Click the Log-on button.
- You will be prompt to create another password for this ID.
- Select ‘Setup & Preferences’.
- Under Passwords tab, the user ID should be admin.
- Enter a new password for your admin ID.
- Click the ‘Reset’ button.
- You will see a message ‘Password has been updated’.
- Click the ‘Close’ button.
- You can set up the tool to work with your new company profile without uninstalling and reinstalling.
- Make sure you are logged into Quickbooks as the Admin in single user mode.
- Log into the translator tool, click on ‘Setup & Preferences’ on the left hand side, then the ‘Accounting System Integration’ tab.
- Click on ‘Remove Settings’ to delete the mapping to the old company profile. You will receive a pop up asking you to confirm the changes, click ‘Yes’ to continue.
- Now that the old mapping is removed, click on ‘Setup’.
- Click ‘Next’ on the first pop up box.
- Then click on ‘Request Access’.
- A certificate will pop up and you need to click the second radial button ‘Yes, always allow access even if Quickbooks is not running’ then ‘Continue’.
- This is your confirmation that the settings have been applied successfully. Click ‘Done’.
- You can click on the ‘Accounting System Integration’ tab again to confirm the company file location is correct.
NOTE: If this is not correct then sign into the correct company profile and repeat the steps above.
- Now you must assign the correct check register to the account along with check numbers. Double click ‘File Translator’ in bold on the left to expand the menu then Register Setup.
- At the bottom click ‘Update Check Register List’ then choose the appropriate check register name from the drop down list that corresponds to that account number.
- Assign a starting and ending check number by double clicking in the text box.
NOTE: You can use 1 and 9999999999 as starting and ending.
- Click ‘Apply Settings’ at the bottom then Retrieve Check Issue Data and proceed as normal.