All KeyBank checking accounts feature these benefits:
Personal Account Basics
A checking account is designed to be a convenient way to safeguard and access your money. For example, you can have your paycheck deposited directly into your checking account and from there pay bills directly. A checking account also can help you keep track of your spending, either manually by entering your transactions in your account register or through your Online Banking Account, where you can view digital images of each check, when they cleared, and see your balance 24/7.
Yes. KeyBank checking accounts are FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
There are several things to ask before choosing a checking account.
- Which accounts have monthly fees or service fees, and how can I avoid them?
- Is there a minimum balance requirement, and can I maintain that balance?
- Does this account come with free ATM use?
- Are online banking services, such as Bill Pay and Mobile Banking, free?
- Do I need overdraft protection?
- Does this account earn interest?
- Can I earn rewards with my everyday transactions?
Debit cards look just like credit cards, but have a few important differences. A debit card is linked directly to your checking account, so when you use it to make a purchase that amount is deducted immediately. You're not charged interest or, in most cases, fees. A credit card is like a loan. You have time to repay that loan, but may be charged interest if it isn't paid in full.
KeyBank debit cards can help you keep within your budget to avoid overspending, and can be used at ATMs and millions of retailers worldwide that accept Debit MasterCard®. However, they don't offer the fraud protection that credit cards do. Also, a credit card's ability to pay for emergencies when you don't have the funds in your account can bring you peace of mind. Debit cards are available with any KeyBank checking account.
You can view your activity in one of the following ways:
- Visit a branch
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and follow the voice prompts
- Check the monthly statement you receive in the mail
- Sign on to Online Banking
- Use KeyBank's mobile app (must be enrolled in Online Banking)
Key offers several ways to order personal checks, including online, by phone or at a local branch. It's just one more way KeyBank adds simplicity and convenience to your banking relationship. Order your personal checks by whatever method is most convenient.
- Select "Self-Service" within Online Banking and click on "Order Checks," or
- Place an order directly with Harland Clarke, KeyBank's preferred check provider
- Visit your local KeyBank branch
- Call 1-800-355-8123 (Be sure to have your routing number ready)
The routing number is located on the lower left-hand corner of your check. You can find out more about the location of the routing number, including samples, by clicking here, or by speaking with a KeyBank representative.
There are two ways to add an authorized signer:
- Go to a branch
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and follow the voice prompts
Depending on the type of deposit you make at a KeyBank branch, ATM or on a mobile device, your funds may be available the next business day.
There are a few exceptions that may delay your funds' availability, including:
- Deposits to a KeyBank checking account that has been open less than 30 days
- Deposits for a large dollar amount
When making a deposit be sure you understand when your money will be available so that you can avoid overdrafts and incurring fees. If you have any questions about your funds' availability, talk to a KeyBank representative by phone or in one of our branches.
Yes. With KeyBank Relationship Rewards®, you can earn points by making everyday purchases with your KeyBank checking account and other banking activities, such as Bill Pay, automated debits, direct deposits and debit card purchases. You can redeem your points for cash back, merchandise, travel and more. To enroll you'll need a qualifying KeyBank checking account. You can find out more about KeyBank's Relationship Rewards program online or by speaking with a KeyBank representative.
KeyBank uses state-of-the-art technology to ensure your information is kept safe. We deliver a secure environment through a variety of methods, such as encryption, firewalls, and customer-controlled passwords.
Report the theft as soon as possible by contacting KeyBank at 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and following the voice prompts.
KeyBank offers detailed information about overdraft fees online, or you can speak to a representative.
Online and Mobile Banking Benefits
You'll first need to enroll in Online Banking. Then, download the KeyBank app to your mobile device. Use your Online Banking user ID and password to access your account. Within the mobile app you can:
- View account balances 24/7
- Transfer funds between your KeyBank accounts
- Make payments to existing payees
- View and cancel scheduled Bill Pay payments
- Search and view your transaction history for the last 90 days
- Make mobile deposits to your account
You'll need to have an Online Banking account. Once you've signed on to your Online Banking account, follow the prompts to set up Email and Text Alerts.
Bill Pay is a banking service that allows you to pay your bills online. You don't have to worry about writing checks or buying stamps.
No. Online Banking Bill Pay is free for non-rush delivery of your payments.
Try our Bill Pay demo.
If you need to get a payment delivered on the same or next business day, we offer our Pay it Faster option, with same or next business day delivery. (Note: Fees apply for Pay it Faster.)
Our expedited payment option is available for $9.95. Just click the "Pay it Faster" link after you select the payee. (Note: Expedited payments cannot be modified or cancelled.)
Electronic expedited payments are sent immediately. The payment may take up to a day to process, but will be backdated to the date that you requested the expedited payment.
Online and Mobile Banking
In some instances, you may not be able to edit the address information as KeyBank may already have a relationship with a payee and have the necessary billing information on file.
Yes. Below your payee list, click on, "Want to make more payments at a time?" By selecting this option, it will become your default view. (Note: You can switch back to paying one at a time and change your default by clicking on "Want to make more payments at a time?" again.)
Applying for a Personal Checking Account
To apply for a new checking account you'll need the following:
- Your Social Security number
- Two valid forms of identification. These could include two primary forms (driver's license, valid passport, government-issued ID with photo and signature) or one primary and one secondary form (credit card, utility bill, lease, or other non-official forms of ID).
- Minimum required opening deposit (amount varies depending on type of account)
If you sign electronically during your application, you'll see your account number after submitting your application. You can then use your new account immediately.
If your online application is approved but requires a physical signature to complete the account setup, you'll receive a signature card via U.S. mail in 5-10 business days, along with information about both your account and your debit card. Your debit card will be ordered and a Check Order Package mailed upon KeyBank's receipt of your signed documents and opening deposit.
In some cases, you may be asked to provide additional information before a decision is made. If the application request has been declined, you will receive details on the decision.
KeyBank provides several ways for customers to research checking accounts to find the right fit. For example, you can: