Credit Card FAQs
Have all your credit card questions answered.
Your Credit Card Basics
- What is an APR?
A credit card's interest rate is the price you pay for borrowing money expressed as a yearly rate. For credit cards, the interest rates are typically stated as a yearly rate, called the annual percentage rate (APR).
- What is an introductory rate?
An introductory rate or introductory APR is a promotional rate offered for opening a new credit card account, for a temporary time period. If your credit card offers an introductory rate, note how long you have until the rate increases and what the new APR rate will be. Refer to your cardmember agreement for full details.
- Can you have more than one interest rate on the same credit card?
Yes. Credit cards often have different APRs for purchases, cash advances and balance transfers, and these will be clearly outlined in your card’s monthly statements.
- Can you set up recurring payments?
The KeyBank credit card is a great way to simplify the way you pay for all your monthly bills. Most companies now accept Mastercard® as a form of payment. Consolidating your various bills using KeyBank’s recurring payment option can streamline the time and cost involved in paying every monthly obligation. These include, but are not limited to: cable, internet, mobile phone, telephone, electric/gas, subscription media services, auto insurance and water bills. Enrollment is easy! Just contact each of your providers and leverage your KeyBank credit card as a payment type.
Applying for a Credit Card
- What happens after I apply for a KeyBank Mastercard® credit card online?
After you apply online, you'll receive an email acknowledging your request for a new credit card. A separate email will be sent when your completed application has a status change.
- If you are approved, you’ll receive an email to let you know your credit card and convenience checks, if applicable, will arrive soon.
- If you are declined, you’ll receive a letter in the mail within 10 days, with information explaining the reasons.
- In some cases you may be asked to provide additional information before a decision is made.
- What are the main differences between the Key2More Rewards® credit card and the KeyBank Latitude® credit card?
Both credit cards offer a number of benefits and features.
- How is my financial information kept secure?
KeyBank uses state-of-the-art technology to ensure a secure connection. We deliver a secure environment through a variety of methods, such as encryption, firewalls and customer-controlled passwords.
Managing My KeyBank Credit Card Account
- How do I activate my new KeyBank credit card?
Once you receive your new KeyBank credit card in the mail, step one is to activate it. There are several ways to activate your card:
- Activate your card online
- Call the number on the card sticker
- Visit your KeyBank branch
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU®
Once your card is activated, it is immediately ready to use. Be sure to sign your card on the back right away.
- How do I view my credit card balance?
There are five easy ways to view your monthly statement:
- How do I transfer a balance to my KeyBank credit card?
There are four easy ways to transfer a balance to your credit card:
- How can I pay my credit card bill?
There are four ways to pay your monthly credit card bill:
- Where do I send my payment if I'm mailing it in?
P.O. Box 89446
Cleveland, OH 44101-6446
KeyBank Lockbox Services
Attention: Lockbox 89446
5575 Venture Drive
Parma, OH 44130
- How do I change my credit card payment due date?
Once your credit card account is open, you can change your payment due date:
- At a KeyBank branch or
- By calling 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968)
Your new payment due date will take effect for the next statement billing cycle.
- How do I apply for a credit limit increase?
There are three ways you can apply for a credit limit increase on your KeyBank Mastercard® credit card:
- What happens if I have unauthorized charges on my credit card?
Notify KeyBank by calling 1-800-KEY2YOU® as soon as you suspect or see unauthorized transactions charged on your credit card.
- If the charges are fraudulent, KeyBank will file a dispute to reclaim those funds, along with issuing you a new account number and closing your current credit card account to prevent additional unauthorized charges
- If the charges were placed on your account in error (e.g., a double charge from a merchant), KeyBank will file a dispute to correct the error and reclaim those funds
- How do I use my credit card at ATMs?
To use your KeyBank credit card for a cash withdrawal at an ATM, you’ll need a PIN. This PIN cannot be provided or created over the phone. You will need to
- Go to a KeyBank branch, or
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU®, (1-800-539-2968) and follow the voice prompts to request that a PIN be sent to you in the mail
Once you receive your PIN you can then change it by calling and using the automated phone system.
- How can I add an authorized user onto my credit card account?
There are two ways you can add an authorized user to your KeyBank Mastercard® credit card:
- In a KeyBank branch
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU (1-800-539-2968) and follow the voice prompts
- What do I do if my credit card is lost or stolen?
Report credit card theft as soon as possible by contacting KeyBank at 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and following the voice prompts.
If your card is lost, you can place a temporary lock on it in online banking and mobile banking or by phone at 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968). The temporary lock stops new activity from posting to your account (activity that was processing at the time of the lock will not be impacted). Plus, it gives you time to find your card. Remember, if a card is permanently lost or stolen, you’ll need to cancel it and reopen a new account.
To lock or unlock a misplaced card in online or mobile banking, sign in and select “Manage Card” from the account details screen. Select “Lock/Unlock Card” and use the toggle to select your option.
- How do I put a travel alert on my credit card account?
There are two ways to alert KeyBank that you will be traveling and making purchases on your credit card that are not typical:
- 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and following the voice prompts
- Visit a KeyBank branch
Online and Mobile Banking Benefits
- How do I use my mobile device to manage my KeyBank credit card account?
First, enroll in Online Banking. Then, download the KeyBank app to your mobile device. Use your Online Banking user ID and password to access your account to:
- View account balances
- Transfer funds between your KeyBank accounts
- Search and view your transaction history for the last 90 days
- Make mobile deposits to your deposit account
- How do I set up email alerts about my accounts?
You'll need to have an Online Banking account. Once you've logged into your Online Banking account, follow the prompts to set up email and text alerts.
- How do I set up my KeyBank credit card in Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and Masterpass?
To start using Apple Pay in connection with your KeyBank credit card:
- Open up Wallet on your Apple Pay™ compatible device
- Swipe down and tap the plus sign
- Follow the steps to add a new card
- Start shopping!
You’ll continue to receive all of the rewards, benefits and protection your KeyBank credit card already provides.
Note: The card you have stored in iTunes is your default payment card. To switch the default card go into your Apple Pay settings.
KeyBank Chip Card Information
- What is a chip card?
KeyBank Mastercard® credit cards come embedded with a microchip, which offers more security worldwide. At participating retailers, you can insert your card into a chip reader for added protection. For those without chip technology, you can continue to swipe the magnetic strip on your existing card.
Understanding Your Credit Score
- What is a credit score?
Your credit score is a number that helps financial institutions determine your credit worthiness, i.e. how likely you are to repay your debts. Every time you apply for, use, make or miss a payment on a loan or credit card, you build another entry that raises or lowers that score on your credit report.
- How do I establish a good credit score?
The following steps can help you work toward establishing a good credit score:
- Make all of your minimum payments on-time, every month
- Pay more than minimum required, to enable reduction in debt
- Keep ample separation between amount owed, and Credit Limit available
- Maintain your oldest trade line
- Keep outstanding balances as low as you can
- Check your credit report at least once each year to make sure it’s error-free
- Where do I get a copy of my credit report?
A free credit report is available once a year from each of the three major credit reporting agencies. Visit annualcreditreport.com to get yours.