Savings and CDs FAQs
Savings Account Basics
- What is a savings account?
Savings accounts provide a safe place for your funds to grow over time while earning interest. These accounts should be used in conjunction to a checking account to manage all of your savings and payment needs.
- Why should I open a savings account?
A KeyBank savings account is a convenient way to keep your funds completely accessible while still earning interest. Manage your funds, monitor your cash flow and see your balances grow over time. Track your transactions however you wish, including through online banking, where you can see your balance 24/7.
- Is the money in my savings account insured?
Yes. KeyBank savings accounts are FDIC-insured up to $250,000.
- What should I look for in a savings account so I can choose the right one?
There are several things to ask before choosing a savings account:
- Does the account align with my savings goals?
- Which accounts have monthly fees or service fees, and how can I avoid them?
- Is there a minimum balance requirement, and can I maintain that balance?
- Does this account earn interest? Is it a fixed rate and term?
- Are there transaction limitations on the account?
- Which accounts have check-writing capabilities?
- Which accounts provide overdraft options?
- What does APY mean?
Annual Percentage Yield (APY) is the annual rate of return applied to your account. It takes into account the interest rate your earning, plus any earned interest.
- What is interest?
Interest is money earned at a particular rate indicated in the product disclosures.
- What does compound interest mean?
Compound interest is the process of adding interest on the principle balance plus previously earned interest.
Savings Account Information
- How do I view my savings account activity?
There are five ways to view your activity:
- How can I add an authorized signer to my KeyBank savings account?
There are two ways to add an authorized signer:
- Go to a branch
- Call 1-800-KEY2YOU® (1-800-539-2968) and follow the voice prompts
- When will my funds be available after making a deposit?
Depending on the type of deposit you make at a KeyBank branch, ATM or on a mobile device, your funds may be available the next business day.
There are a few exceptions that may delay your funds’ availability, including:
- Deposits to a KeyBank savings account that has been open less than 30 days
- Deposits for a large dollar amount
When making a deposit, be sure you understand when your money will be available so that you can avoid overdrafts and fees. If you have any questions about your funds’ availability, talk to a KeyBank representative by phone or at one of our branches
- How secure is my financial information?
KeyBank uses state-of-the-art technology to ensure your personal and account information is kept safe. We deliver a secure environment through a variety of methods, such as encryption, firewalls and customer-controlled passwords.
- Can I write checks from my savings account?
- How do I order checks?
KeyBank makes it easy for you to order checks for your money market account.
To re-order checks:
- Place an order directly with Harland Clarke, KeyBank’s preferred check provider, or
- Visit a KeyBank branch near you, or
- Call 800-503-2345
For first-time check orders:
- Call 800-355-8123, or
- Visit a KeyBank branch near you.
- Where is the routing number located on my check?
The routing number is located on the lower left-hand corner of your check.
Health Savings Accounts
- Who is eligible to use a KeyBank Health Savings Account (HSA)?
HSAs offered by employers for the benefit of employees. You are eligible if you are:
- Enrolled with a high deductible health insurance plan
- Not covered by another health insurance plan (except those permitted by the IRS)
- Not covered by Medicare
- Not a dependent on someone else’s taxes
Find out more about health savings accounts.
- How do I fund and manage KeyBank Health Savings Accounts (HSAs)?
You and your employer can contribute to your HSA. Withdrawals must be used for qualified medical expenses only.
Applying for a New Savings Account
- How do I open a savings account?
- What information/documentation do I need to apply for a new savings account?
To apply for a new savings account, you’ll need the following:
- Your Social Security number
- One valid form of primary identification (driver’s license, valid passport, government-issued ID with photo and signature)
- Minimum required opening deposit (amount varies depending on type of account)