Introducing Key Smart Checking®
No monthly service fees. No minimum balance requirement. No kidding.Open Now
Key Smart Checking is a free checking account that puts you in control and stays out of the way – because a bank should never come between you and your money.1
Account Features and Benefits
More KeyBank Checking Accounts
Get more from your checking account, every day. KeyBank checking accounts give you automatic savings with EasyUp®, overdraft protection and access to more than 1,100 branches and 40,000 KeyBank and Allpoint ATMs nationwide, often without a surcharge.2 So you always have what you need, when you need.
Key Smart Checking® Account 1 of 5
Simple checking account with no monthly fees
- No monthly service fees, no minimums
- Paper checks and every digital feature
Key Advantage Checking® Account 2 of 5
Earn interest and avoid fees
- Interest bearing
- Discounts on checks
Key Privilege Checking® Account 3 of 5
Preferred pricing and great benefits
- Relationship rates and discounts
- Automatic daily sweeps to savings
Key Privilege Select Checking® Account 4 of 5
Financial management and our highest rate
- Premium management and investing services
- Relationship rates and discounts
Key Smart Checking is the basic banking account in New York. For all accounts, other miscellaneous charges apply. If you close your account within 180 days of account opening, you will be charged a $25.00 account early closure fee.
A $10 minimum deposit is required to open this account. There is no monthly maintenance fee for this account. Other fees may apply.
No surcharge at KeyBank ATMs. No surcharge at Allpoint ATMs when using your KeyBank debit card on an eligible account type. With the exception of the KeyBank Hassle-Free Account®, all clients in KeyBank’s personal checking products are eligible for Allpoint when they use their KeyBank Debit Mastercard®. Savings, Business and Hassle-Free accounts are not eligible for Allpoint.
To avoid Maintenance Service Charges...
- To avoid the $18 monthly Maintenance Service Charge for Key Advantage Checking® Account, meet any of the following requirements:
- Any combination of balances from your KeyBank checking, savings deposit, certificates of deposit, retirement deposits, investment* (including annuity balances reflected on your KIS account statement) and credit accounts was $10,000.00 or more.
- You have a KeyBank originated mortgage and you have automatic payment deducted via ACH deducting $500.00 or more from your Key Advantage Checking account during a statement cycle. If your mortgage automatic payment deduction plan should be discontinued, you may be subject to the combined balance requirements to avoid the monthly Maintenance Service Charge.
- You are a Key@Work program member and you have direct deposits totaling $1000.00 or more credited to your Key Advantage Checking account during a statement cycle. If you leave your current employer and direct deposits are discontinued, you may be subject to the combined balance requirement to avoid the monthly Maintenance Service Charge until direct deposits are reinstated by your new employer.
- As a Key Privilege client, you can avoid the $25 monthly Maintenance Service Charge if:
- You maintain a combined balance of $25,000 or more in any combination of deposit, investment* and credit accounts.
- You have a mortgage originated through KeyBank and you have an automatic payment deduction plan via ACH deducting $500 or more from your Key Privilege Checking Account during a statement cycle. If your mortgage automatic payment deduction plan should be discontinued, you may be subject to the combined balance requirements to avoid the monthly Maintenance Service Charge.
- You are a Key@Work program member and you have direct deposits totaling at least $2,500.00 or more credited to this Account during a statement period. If you leave your current employer and direct deposits stop, you may be subject to the combined balance requirement to avoid the monthly Maintenance Service Charge until direct deposits are reinstated.
- To avoid the $50 monthly Maintenance Service Charge for Key Privilege Select Checking® Account, you must maintain a minimum of $100,000 in combined relationship balances (sweep investment, deposits and investment* [including annuity balances reflected on your KIS account statement]) each statement cycle OR be a Key@Work program member and have a total of at least $5,000 in direct deposits each statement cycle credited to this Account.
Insurance products are offered through KeyCorp Insurance Agency USA, Inc. (KIA). KIS and KIA are affiliated with KeyBank National Association (KeyBank).
Investment and insurance products made available through KIS and KIA are:
KIS and KeyBank are separate entities, and when you buy or sell securities you are doing business with KIS and not KeyBank.
Mastercard and the Mastercard Brand Mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Do all your banking securely online. It’s easy to start.Do all your banking securely online. It’s easy to start.
See All the Fees, so You Can Avoid ThemJuly 2020 See All the Fees, so You Can Avoid Them
A 30-minute chat with a banker can help you reach your goals.Key Financial Wellness Review